The Sunrise News Sampler
- Tomorrow, the Tuscaloosa Police Department’s Basketball team and the University of Alabama Alumni Football Team will join forces to raise money for the Larson McClain’s Foundation in a benefit basketball game at Central High School. Game time is 5pm.
- This weekend, the City of Tuscaloosa will host the Scott Firefighter Combat Challenge near the drill field behind University Mall. The event will air on ESPN with individual and team events tomorrow evening and team tandems and relays Saturday morning.
- An Alabama House committee has approved a $1.75 billion General Fund budget to fund most non-eduation state agencies during the fiscal year that begins October 1. The tight spending plan calls for nearly level funding for most agencies.
- The Alabama House Ways and Means-Education Committee has approved a bill to sell $50 million in bonds to fund improvements to make Alabama public schools safer. The bill is said to be designed to prevent tragedies in schools such as the recent shootings elsewhere in the country.
- Investigators of the Boston Marathon bombings are reviewing video footage and believe they may have a breakthrough. They say they’re focused on a man seen dropping off a bag and then walking away from the site of the second of two deadly explosions.
- A fertilizer plant exploded in Waco, Texas yesterday. Buildings were leveled for blocks, and emergency workers have been going door to door, looking for people trapped in the rubble.
- AL.com reports that a day after lettersto Mississippi Senator Roger Wicker and President Obama were found to have tested positive for ricin, a suspicious letter was removed from the Washington office of Alabama Senator Richard Shelby. It is said that a man has been taken into custody after officials found he had a backpack filled with sealed envelopes and was delivering them to lawmakers’ offices.
- Writer’s for E!’s “Fashion Police” have gone on strike, seeking payment for unpaid regular and overtime hours worked, reports MSN.
- The NBA Playoff schedule has been announced for Round 1, according to Fox Sports. The first game will be Saturday at 2 when the Knicks face the Celtics