The Sunrise News Sampler
- While Tide fans have been in celebratory mode since the team secured its place in the BCS Championship, many in West Alabama have heavy hearts this morning. Two lives were lost in Pickens County over the weekend as a police chase ended in a head-on collision, and in Tuscaloosa another young man was killed by gun violence.
- Republican Representative Mike Jones of Andalusia has proposed a measure that would make the right to bear arms a fundamental right in the Alabama Constitution. While the right is already in the US Constitution, Jones says making it part of the state constitution would make it more difficult for state courts to restrict the right to gun ownership.
- Following the elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, officials of several states have been working to do whatever possible to prevent such an event from happening elsewhere, including Alabama. The Alabama Department of Homeland Security has released a video that instructs people on what to do in the event of a shooting, after Governor Bentley asked officials at the agency to develop a plan for dealing with such incidents.
- The House and Senate will spend at least part of today in session waiting from some sort of deal they can vote on to avoid the fiscal cliff of big tax hikes and steep spending cuts.
- Erika Menendez, the woman accused of pushing a man to his death in front of a New York City subway train, is now awaiting a mental exam while being held without bail in a charge of murder as a hate crime. Menendez is said to have been laughing during her arraignment and said she pushed the man because she “thought it would be cool.”
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian have announced that they’re expecting a child together.