The Sunrise News Sampler
- According to the Tuscaloosa County Metro Homicide Unit, 18-year-old Tresvon Spencer has been arrested and charged with murder and four counts of attempted murder following two shooting incidents Saturday. Two young men were shot during an altercation at Kaulton Road and Beech Street early Saturday morning, and then late that night, 17-year-old Angelica Golston was shot and killed along with two other women who were injured inside an apartment at Creekwood Village. Spencer was arrested early yesterday morning.
- Our daily reports that 13-year-old Will May was killed in a hunting accident year the north border of Sumter County late Saturday afternoon. No other information about the shooting will be released until an investigation is complete.
- Today, Vice President Joe Biden will meet with House member to discuss possibilities regarding the finalization of a package of recommendations to curb gun violence. However, the NRA says it has enough support in Congress to block any assault weapons ban.
- This morning, a ribbon cutting ceremony for Phase 1 of the rebuilding of Rosedale will be held at 10:30. Although there were already plans to rebuild the community, it was decimated by the tornado that left an indelible scar in Tuscaloosa on April 27, 2011.
- In other local news, Friday, 20-year-old Natalie Baine, a student at the University of Alabama, died in a Montgomery hospital from injuries sustained in a wreck involving a bus that was carrying cheerleaders home from the BCS National Championship game.
- In other news, today, the case of a 12-year-old boy who was charged with killing his white supremacist father as he slept will be decided in a California courtroom without a jury. Prosecutors say the boy knew what he was doing. The defense says growing up in a violent home clouded his judgment.
- In entertainment news, Lance Armstrong will sit for a 90-minute question and answer session with Oprah today, where he is expected to end more than a decade of denying that he doped to win the Tour de France seven times and to apologize and offer a limited confession.