The Sunrise News Sampler
- Today we head to the polls to vote for our next term president as well as state and local offices. We will also vote on 11 amendments to the Alabama Constitution. To view a sample ballot before heading to the polls, go online to alabamavotes.gov. Area poll locations are open 7am until 7pm.
- Political experts are expecting Alabama voters to turn out in numbers similar to 2008, with 72-74% of the state’s 2.8 million voters expected to participate, comparable to 73.8% four years ago.
- Plans are in place for some residents in New York and New Jersey displaced by Superstorm Sandy to be driven to their polling sites while others are being directed to cast ballots elsewhere.
- Traditional first voting results are in from residents of two tiny villages in northern New Hampshire. After 43 seconds of voting, President Obama and Mitt Romney each had 5 votes in one village. In the other location, Obama had 23 votes, Romney received 9, and Libertarian Gary Johnson received one vote.
- Last night, Northport Mayor Bobby Herndon and the Northport City Council were sworn into office. Incumbents Steve Acker, and Bart Harper were sworn into office as was Jay Logan, who was selected as council president. New members include District 1′s Judy Hayes and District 3′s Rodney Sullivan.
- The University of Alabama women’s basketball team played Stillman’s Lady Tigers last night with the Tide winning 94-39. Stillman’s Men’s Basketball team will face the Tide in an exhibition game tonight at 7 at Coleman Coliseum.
- President and Lady Obama are in Chicago today, where they will await election results. Meanwhile, Mitt Romney has added Election Day appearances in Cleveland and Pittsburgh before heading to Boston for the day.
- Anheuser-Busch has asked Paramount Pictures to obscure or remove the Budweiser logo from the movie “Flight,” starring Denzel Washington, who portrays a highly functioning alcoholic pilot.