The Sunrise News Sampler
- According to Tuscaloosa police, two girls, a 14-year-old and a 5-year-old, were hit by a truck while walking on 25th Avenue East yesterday afternoon. The truck’s driver rushed the girls to DCH, where the 5-year-old died. No information on the older girl’s condition has been released.
- The Alabama Legislature is considering a bill that would give local school systems more flexibility in determining their rules and regulations, which is opposed by the AEA, whose members are worried it could strip rights away from teachers and be a back-door approach to creating charter schools.
- Electricity is slowly returning, highways are reopening, and airports and other mass transit are getting back to normal following a massive New England weekend snowstorm. Some schools and workplaces are still closed, and there is still a concern for roof collapses as the snow melts and rain comes in.
- Pope Benedict XVI (16) is said to resign within the next two weeks, citing poor health. The 85-year-old leader of the Catholic Church was elected Pope in 2005.
- According to our daily, Friday, crews with the Tuscaloosa Department of Transportation began tearing up the pavement on the CityFest lot downtown, in preparation for the Embassy Suites hotel that is to be built on the lot, with construction expected to be complete by June 2014.
- In state news, according to our daily, of the 514 traffic fatalities investigated by state troopers last year, 56 were accounted for in 10 counties of West Alabama.
- A tornado is said to have swept through several Mississippi counties yesterday, where injuries and serious damage were reported. Luckily, no lives are reported as being lost.
- President Obama will deliver a prime-time State of the Union address tomorrow night, hwere he will raise several key issues, including jobs and the budget, gun control, immigration, and climate change.
- In entertainment news, two weeks after Chris Brown was accused of punching Frank Ocean in a parking lot dispute, Ocean struck Chris a nice blow of his own, winning Best Urban Contemporary Album on the Grammy’s last night. Brown was also a nominee for that category.