The Sunrise News Sampler
- According to Tuscaloosa Police, 63-year-old Jerry Lewis Swindle has been arrested and charged with 3 counts of sexual abuse 1st degree in relation to an investigation following allegations by a 37-year-old woman who reported that Swindle had sexually abused her when she was a child. Swindle has been placed in the Tuscaloosa County Jail pending a $50,000 bond.
- Yesterday, the Alabama Senate Judiciary Committee voted 9-0 for a bill that would allow the state parole board to grant posthumous pardons to eight Scottsboro Boys who didn’t get pardons before they died. They’d spent much of their lives fighting the justice system after being accused of raping two white women, one of which later admitted making up the story.
- The Carnival Triumph ship that lost power in an engine-room fire while in the Gulf of Mexico is being towed to Mobile and should make land today. Many of the 4,000 passengers have been telling stories of unsanitary and uncomfortable conditions on board, which Carnival Cruise Lines disputes.
- Harvey Updyke’s bond has been revoked and he was taken to jail yesterday. Updyke is accused of poisoning Auburn University’s landmark oak trees.
- According to our daily, law enforcement officials are searching for two men who are believed to have stolen a television from a home on Auxford Avenue yesterday afternoon. The suspects left in a gray or silver vehicle with a Montgomery County license plate. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff’s office or to text “TUSC” and a tip to CRIMES.