The Sunrise News Sampler
- According to Tuscaloosa Police, a drug bust surrounding the University of Alabama has led to the arrests of 99 people, including 61 students. Most of those arrests involved the sale or possession of marijuana, although cocaine, LSD, prescription pills, and ecstasy were also bought and sold, reports our daily.
- In state news, the Alabama House has passed legislation that would stiffen the requirements for abortion clinics in the state, which opponents say would force most abortion clinics to close.
- Members of the legislative black caucus are criticizing the state’s latest crackdown on VictoryLand, saying a raid is unfair to Macon County residents who voted to legalize bingo.
- Today, Vice President Joe Biden will be awarding the Medal of Valor to 18 emergency responders, which is the nation’s highest honor for public safety officers and recognizes those who risk their own safety to save or protect others. Four medals will be awarded posthumously.
- In entertainment news, the HBO documentary “Beyonce: Life is But a Dream” is said to have drawn 1.8 million viewers with its premiere Saturday night, the highest rating for a documentary in almost 10 years.