The Sunrise News Sampler
- Preliminary hearings for Eddie Lee Williams and Brent Cameron Calloway had been set for March 19th on Tuesday, and yesterday, the hearing for D.J. Pettway was set for the same day, according to court records.The men were arrested last week and suspended from the Tide in connection to robbery accusations amongst other charges. As of yesterday, a hearing for the fourth man involved, Tyler Hayes, had not been set.
- Tomorrow, the state’s second severe weather preparedness sales tax holiday will begin and will run through Sunday. Sales tax will be removed from supplies such as battery-powered radios, weather radios, first aid kits, portable generators, and even plywood.
- In other state news, yesterday, the Senate Education Committee voted in favor or a school flexibility bill that would allow city and county school systems to opt out of state education laws. The bill could come up for a final vote in the Senate next week, and Governor Bentley says that whatever the legislature passes out is what he will sign.
- Governor Bentley also says that the state stands to lose 24,000 jobs if automatic government spending cuts kick in on March 1st, with the biggest impact being on defense-related jobs and the Huntsville area being the hardest hit.
- State Health Officer Don Williamson told legislators that money will be available to fund our Medicaid program at a minimal level through next year, but he’s not sure where the money would come from after 2014 to run the health insurance program.
- Today, Vice President Joe Biden will speak at a conference in Danbury, Connecticut, which is just a few miles from Newtown. The conference is to push President Obama’s gun control proposals.
- In other news, a Taliban spokesman says his group will keep targeting government employees and other Afghans linked to the US-led coalition after the UN warned that such killings may violate international law.
- Former Spice Girls singer Melanie Brown has been unveiled as Sharon Osbourne’s replacement as a judge on “America’s Got Talent.”