The Sunrise News Sampler
- According to Tuscaloosa Police, yesterday, warrants were issued for 36-year-old Catrina Evins and 53-year-old Annie Evins, who were charged with assault, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, criminal tresspass, and obstructing governmental operations as a result of an investigation that followed a call about a disturbance on a school bus. The women were arrested and released on bond.
- The Faucett Brothers Activity Center opened this morning. It features a cardio room, weight room, spin room, aerobics studio, climbing boulders, pools, and many other features. Area residents are invited to try out the center for free this month. And speaking of activity centers, according to the Tuscaloosa News, Vance has officially offered up its town park to the Tuscaloosa County Commission for a possible future site of an activity center to be built in the eastern part of the county.
- In state news, Rep. Chris England says that the School Flexibility Act passed in the Legislature yesterday, although the bill was substantially different from the one that was introduced, was hidden from public view, and was not vetted. The bill is said to have not been read by a majority of the Legislature.
- In state news, yesterday, the Alabama Senate passed a bill to consolidate administrative functions at the Legislature, in efforts of saving money and reducing personnel. The bill now goes to the House.
- In other news, today, President Obama is calling the top bipartisan congressional leadership to the White House, just hours before the president has to put into effect $85 billion in military and domestic cuts. Obama is pushing a 10-year, $1.5 trillion deficit reduction that would also mean a tax increase.
- In other news, the White House says it will wait as long as it can to impose automatic spending reductions in hopes some sort of solution can be found, which means it will probably be close to midnight before President Obama issues the order, unless something else happens in advance.
- And in entertainment news, just as Prince Michael Jackson will make his acting debut on the show, The CW announces that “90210″ will end after its current season.