The Sunrise News Sampler
- All the buzz in Alabama is the Tide's last minute win... LITERALLY... against LSU in Death Valley, where the Tigers' dreams of defeating the Tide died quickly and suddenly. Analysts say that AJ McCarron's performance most likely propelled him into the thick of the Heisman Trophy race, while T.J. Yeldon is also being hailed as hero for his 28-yard touchdown run that gave Alabama a 21-17 lead with 51 seconds remaining in the game.
- Tonight, the Holt in Action will hold a Holt Community Town Hall Meeting, which is open to everyone, at Holt High from 6 until 7:30 to provide information about the New Foundry Creative Center.
- President Obama and Mitt Romney have one more day to campaign, and both cadidates will be in Ohio today. The president also plans stops in Wisconsin and Iowa while Romey will go to Florida, Virginia, and New Hampshire.
- According to MSN, Sharon Osbourne has undergone a preventive double mastectomy over fears she could develop breast cancer, as she's discovered she has a gene which raises her chances of developing the disease and already fought colon cancer.
- Tonight, the Crimson Tide's women's basketball team will host Stillman College's Lady Tigers at Foster's Auditorium. Tipoff is slated for 6:30, and admission is free. According to Rolltide.com, this is only the third time the teams will face each other and the first since the 1975-76 season.
- A break from the severe drought of a year ago and some late rains have helped many Alabama farmers, who are reporting healthy yields from their peanut and cotton crops this season.
- A small earthquake has shaken an area in northern New Jersey that was hit by Superstorm Sandy last week. The area is still dealing with downed trees and power outages, but there are no additional reports of damage. Meanwhile, New Yorkers are heading back to work, although fewer-than-normal subway lines are running.
- A 2-year-old child fell into the wild African dogs exhibit at the Pittsburgh Zoo, yesterday, where he was immediately attacked and killed by 11 dogs. The death is under investigation. The child's mother had put him on the top of a railing at the edge of a viewing deck to give him a better view of the animals.