The Sunrise News Sampler
- Today, the birth of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is recognized as the National Day of Service as well as Unity Day in Tuscaloosa. According to the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, a breakfast will be held at Stillman College at 7am, immediately followed by the march from MLK Elementary, making a stop to pray at City Hall, and culminating at the Tuscaloosa Transportation Museum. Then, tonight's mass rally will be held at First African Baptist Church.
- In state news, Senate budget committee Chairman Arthur Orr is working on a bill for the upcoming legislative session that would take the state out of the retail liquor business.
- Governor Bentley says Alabama's unemployment rate fell to 7.1 percent in December from 7.5 percent in November, the fourth month for a decline since measuring 8.5 percent in August and better than the 8 percent for December 2011.
- When he delivers his inaugural address today, President Obama plans to lay out a broad vision for the country's future, which will set the stage for looming debates over taxes, guns, immigration, and other issues.
- Today is definitely history in the making as the secong inauguration of President Obama will take place. This will be only the second time that the presidential inauguration falls on the King holiday.
- And in sports news, as if he hasn't already destroyed his legendary status, Lance Armstrong is said to have lied to Oprah about lying, according to Fox Sports. Armstrong told Oprah he'd stopped doping back in 2005 when he actually continued up until 2009.