Contact Us

Freezing Temperatures May Bring Snow to Alabama This Weekend

NWS Birmingham

There’s no denying that it’s straight up COLD outside, so be prepared for a chilly weekend that might include Sunday night snowfall. The National Weather Service in Birmingham forecasts a 20% chance of snow Saturday night and an 80% chance of snow Sunday night in Tuscaloosa. Nightly lows are projected to stay under 30 degrees, even reaching a chilly 13 degrees Monday morning.

Our Chief Meteorologist James Spann wrote about this weekend’s chances for snow on the official ABC 33/40 Weather Blog this morning:

As cold air rushes into Alabama, there is a good chance the rain will change to snow before ending Sunday evening. I would suggest the best window for snow around here (Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Anniston, Gadsden) will come from about 4:00 p.m. until 12:00 midnight.

I do think there could be some light accumulation (1/2 inch or less) north of U.S. 278, or a line from Hamilton to Cullman to Gadsden. South of that a dusting is possible down to I-20. The snow in most cases shouldn’t pose any serious problems, but a few slick spots could develop over the Tennessee Valley. Strong winds, the cold, dry air will keep most roads dry, however.

COLDEST AIR IN A DECADE: We should drop below freezing Sunday evening around 6:00 p.m… and stay below freezing until around 10:00 a.m. Wednesday. That would be 62 consecutive hours below 32 degrees.

We are projecting highs Monday and Tuesday only in the upper 20s. The coldest morning will come early Tuesday with a low between 8 and 13 degrees… our friends up in the Tennessee Valley could see lows in the 5 degree range. This will be our coldest morning since January 24, 2003, when Birmingham’s low was 7 degrees.

But clearly Wednesday morning will be very cold, and the latest GFS is printing a low of 10 degrees for Birmingham, so it might be just as cold as Tuesday with a clear sky and light wind… good conditions for radiational cooling.

Now is the time to think about the things you need to do to prepare for this… be sure and check on elderly people you know that might not have an adequate source of heat, and bring in those dogs and cats.

NWS Birmingham

More from WTUG

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://wtug.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on WTUG 92.9 FM quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here.

Sign up for an account to comment, share your thoughts, and earn points to get great prizes.

Register on WTUG 92.9 FM quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!