The Sunrise News Sampler
- The big talk of the morning is the fiscal cliff deal, which was finalized by the House late last night. Critical issues that leave room for political bickering include deficit reduction, and another standoff in the making happens next month when Congress will need to raise the $16.4 trillion federal borrowing limit so the government can continue to pay its bills.
- In local news, a 16-year-old boy who was babysitting for a relative has been charged in the rape of a 21-year-old woman who is said to have been asleep at the apartment when she was attacked. The teen is being charged as an adult.
- 66-year-old Larry Travis was taken into police custody after stabbing a man who hit him with a towel at the YMCA. The man is said to have been stabbed in the chest Monday night, and Travis has been charged with assault.
- In state news, authorities in Morgan County have issued warrants for Johnny Johnson and Steven Mears, who fled their work release program in Decatur Sunday afternoon. Johnson was arrested on drug charges, and Mears was arrested for violating his probation.
- A Mobile-area church that was damaged in the Christmas Day tornado was burglarized Sunday night. Authorities say several church windows were broken, and microphones and amplifiers were taken from Sweet Pilgrim Baptist Church.
- In other news, according to NBC, scientist are working to stop a drug-resistant malaria in Thailand, which they say could become a global nightmare and threaten the lives of millions. The malaria parasite, carried person to person by infected mosquitoes, still kills an estimated 655,000 people a year.
- And in sports news, the Los Angeles Clippers ended their team-record 17-game winning streak with a 92-78 loss to the Nuggest in Denver. Meanwhile, as Carmelo Anthony scored 45 points, the New York Knicks still lost to Portland 105-100.
- 86-year-old Playboy magazine founder Hugh Hefner married 26-year-old Crystal Harris on New Year’s Eve. Harris had previously broken an engagement to Hefner just before they were to be married in 2011.