Tuscaloosa Man Dies After Being Bitten by Copperhead
A Tuscaloosa man died this weekend after he was bitten by a Copperhead snake at Smith Lake in Walker County, according to a report from Huntsville's WAFF.
The TV station reports that Oliver "Chum" Baker, a long-time employee of the city of Northport's wastewater department, was walking his dog at a family property on Smith Lake when he was bitten by the venomous snake Friday afternoon.
Baker was first taken to a hospital in Jasper where doctors recommended airlifting him to UAB, but no beds were available and he was taken to Huntsville Hospital instead.
He died there Monday, according to the report.
The Alabama Herpetological Society told WAFF that Baker's death was likely caused by an allergic hypersensitivity to the snake's venom, as copperheads are among the area's least venomous.