A Texas woman died after consuming raw oysters and contracting a flesh-eating bacteria.She ate the raw oysters while on a trip to Louisiana with friends and family in September and developed a rash and had trouble breathing over the next 36 hours.She spent 21 days in the hospital fighting the infection, caused by vibriosis.

Vibriosis is often transmitted to people by eating raw or undercooked shellfish like oysters, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The agency estimates vibriosis causes 80,000 illnesses each year in America and about 52,000 of the illnesses come from eating contaminated food.

More From 92.9 WTUG